Therapy Toronto Psychotherapy Definitions
- People with narcissistic problems tend to have great difficulty developing healthy give-and-take relationships.
They have difficulty in relating to others because they cannot distinguish between themselves and others in complex ways.
- Narrative Therapy
- Narrative therapy is a respectful and collaborative approach to therapy. It focuses on the stories of people's lives and is based on the idea that problems are manufactured in social, cultural and political contexts.
- Neuro-linguistic programming, NLP
- NLP, also known as neuro-linguistic programming, is a powerful set of practices designed to support a person to become aware of the connection between the way they think - the words they use and how this communication affects their actions.
- According to Canadian physician and psychoanalyst Dr. Norman Doidge MD, FRCPC, author of the bestselling book The Brain that Changes Itself, the human brain exhibits is 'neuroplastic'.
This provides considerable hope in the task of living better because it means the brain can - with the right help - change its own internal physical structure.
This enables desirable new behaviours to emerge.
- The word literally means an illness of the nerves, and was coined by Freud to describe the unhappiness of the patients who came to see him.
- See Neurolinguistic programming.
Psychotherapy glossary by Toronto Therapy Network is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at definitions.TherapyToronto.ca.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://TherapyToronto.ca/copyright.phtml.