Therapy Toronto Psychotherapy Definitions
- What is happiness? In English it originally meant ‘things that happen’ and did not originally signify the guaranteed continuation of bliss that it has come to mean.
- Called by no less a thinker than Hannah Arendt 'the secret king of thought', the German philosopher Martin Heidegger has strongly influenced psychodynamic psychotherapy.
- 'Holding' is a psychic function, not a physical action.
This way of relating to others in a therapeutic relationship was first described by the British analyst D.W.W. Winnicott.
- HSC stands for Human Services Counsellor, a college-level specialty training in addictions and mental health.
- A highly receptive, highly sensitive nervous system is inherited by about 15-20% of the population.
We term this Highly Sensitive Persons.
- The Humanistic model emerged soon after World War II in reaction to the dehumanizing excesses of Fascism and by extension the modern industrial world.
- Hypnosis comes in many forms. Within the context of psychotherapy, it can best be described as a form of guided concentration that taps into your unconscious mind.
- See Hypnosis.
Psychotherapy glossary by Toronto Therapy Network is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at definitions.TherapyToronto.ca.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://TherapyToronto.ca/copyright.phtml.