Therapy Toronto Psychotherapy Definitions
- This is a central concept within Daseinsanalysis and shorthand for our individual way of 'being-in-the-world'.
- Dance Therapy
- Dance therapy employs one of the oldest basic forms of human expression as a means to help people express and manage emotional issues.
- The analysis of 'being-there' as a human being amid others in a social world largely beyond our personal control, Daseins, as it is often called, is a therapeutic modality that is particularly useful in this era of post-modern confusion about our core humanity.
- See dialectical behaviour therapy.
- DCTP is a credential provided by the Centre for Training in Psychotherapy, a private Toronto training school.
It represents completion of a training program involving individual and group therapy and theoretical work.
- Defenses as described by Freud were psychic structures erected to defend and protect the treasures of the soul.
- Depersonalization refers to the phenomenon of detaching from one’s physical and emotional life to the point of feeling that one's physical and emotional sensations are somehow separate from oneself.
- Depression is one of the most common reasons that people seek therapy.
It is a chronic 'down' mood that takes the lustre out of life, and includes feelings of worthlessness and incompetence, physical debility and fatigue, loss of libido, increased irritability, difficulty sleeping, lack of interest in life, poor appetite, increased anxiety, thoughts of suicide, and lack of hope.
- Derealization is a form of dissociation.
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is an effective approach towards the resolution of borderline personality disorder (BPD) developed by Marsha Linehan.
DBT treatment consists of 2 parts:
1. individual ongoing therapy and
2. specific skills training
Both parts of the tDBT process are to be done in a face-to-face setting; phone and skype variants are not recommended.
Twice a week attendance is a minimum for an effective change process., though in some cases once a week may be beneficial.
- To speak with another is a dialogue, though in psychotherapy the dialogue assumes a particular flavour and intensity.
- Dip ATPPP
- This stands for Diploma in the Advanced Training Program in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy at the Toronto Psychoanalytic Society, a private training institute in Toronto.
- Dip NSPC
- Dip. NSPC stands for the diploma awarded by the New School of Psychotherapy & Counselling.
- Dip PEB
- Dip PEB stands for Diploma in Psychotherapy and Emotional Bodywork, granted by the Institute for Psychotherapy and Emotional Bodywork, a private training institute.
- Dip RC
- Dip RC is a professional diploma.
- Dip TATI
- Dip TATI stands for Diploma in the Art Therapy at the Toronto Art Therapy Institute, a private training institute in Toronto.
- Dip TIRP
- Dip TIRP stands for the diploma awarded by the Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy, a private psychotherapy training institute.
- This often takes the form of feeling disconnected from one's actions or feelings, and may sometimes lead to spontaneously behaving in a certain way without being aware of the reason.
While in a state of dissociation, one may experience a feeling of numbness, emotionally, physically, or intellectually.
- Many men and women seek help while going through a divorce. It is a time of great emotional upheaval which often leads to anxiety as there are so many unknowns.
- Drama Therapy
- Drama therapy focuses on the client as a whole, unique individual, and emphasizes working on the here and now, at times an imagined here and now.
Drama therapists believe that imagination and creativity are the safest and shortest routes toward healing, and strive to place the client in an imaginary space where they are free to both be imaginative and creative, better able to confront their fears and emotions, and thereby better able to understand them.
- Dreamwork refers to the interpretation of dreams as a central aspect of human psychic activity.
- DT designates a Drama Therapy specialization at the post-graduate level.
Psychotherapy glossary by Toronto Therapy Network is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at definitions.TherapyToronto.ca.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://TherapyToronto.ca/copyright.phtml.